Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Groundhog Day...

Can you believe January is almost over?? With February around the corner, there's lots to think about. First up is Groundhog Day! I get so excited about celebrating Groundhog Day each year! I make a pretty big deal about it each year. First graders can be a bit silly (imagine that) and truly seem to enjoy learning about this silly tradition. I usually begin with reading Wake Up, Groundhog
This is a cute little story about a little girl groundhog who wants to take over for her uncle, Punxsutawney Phil. It also talks about signs of spring which is perfect since we're usually learning about the seasons. After reading, we discuss any experiences they have had with groundhogs and Groundhog Day. I also like to take a few minutes to watch some videos of past Groundhog Day predictions. Then it's time to make our own. I give each student a sentence frame to complete.


Of course we need a craft to go with it! So we make these...



The students who predict that Punxsutawney Phil will not see his shadow will make the same picture minus the shadow.

Once I post these on the bulletin board, we graph our results. By the way, I place all of the "will see his shadow" predictions in a column and the "will not see his shadow" in a separate column next to it. I add labels to the top to make it into a picture graph.

Throughout the week we read nonfiction texts about groundhogs and write a short report. 


During centers, we use the groundhog vocabulary words to put in ABC order and to write sentences. 


We work on some groundhog labeling and read a funny little book. 



 There's also a little measuring center!


If you're looking for something to use in your class, head on over to my TpT store. All of this and more is in my "Let's Learn About Groundhogs" pack. Now you know how I like to give out some freebies! All you have to do it leave me a comment and let me know how you celebrate/teach about Groundhog Day in your class! The first 5 who leave me their email will get it for free! 

Best wishes,

4 comments:

  1. I would love a copy! Great for this Friday!

    rmariemuniz@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this is to cute! I would love a copy for this Friday. Thanks so much for sharing.
    Mjaquillard@oregoncs.org

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so cute! I am excited to be number 3!
    lraines78@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I forgot to tell you that we celebrate by doing a craftivity, singing groundhog songs, and eating a treat!
    lraines78@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete